Photo: Michael Goima
The Usambara sisters are based in Kwamndolwa near the small town of Korogwe in northeastern Tanzania. This large congregation is made up of more than 500 sisters, who work in the fields of education, agriculture and health. Their Montessori teacher training center in Lushoto has been in existence since 1994. The Usambara sisters also run various kindergartens, primary schools and secondary schools. The construction of a model Montessori primary school is currently ongoing in Kwaludege, Kabuku. Furthermore, the sisters own and run several dispensaries and health centers as well as a large farm. The congregation was founded in 1954 by Eugen Arhurs of the Rosminian Congregation. Today they are headed by Sister Gaspara Kashamba.